Wardensville West Virginia
“A Touch of Heaven”
Town of Wardensville WV
The town of Wardensville is located in Hardy County West Virginia along the East side bank fork of the Capucon River and Trout Run River. To the West lies North Mountain, and to the East and South are the George Washington National Forest and the Jefferson National Forest. Wardensville is home to Trout Pond, which is the largest natural lake in West Virginia.
Today you can find several pre-Civil War era historic buildings in Wardensville, including the Cline Blacksmith Shop, Town Jail, St. Peter’s Lutheran Church, antique stores, art galleries, a craft brewery, rustic cabins, campgrounds, romantic bed and breakfasts, Lost River State Park, George Washington National Forest, Jefferson National Forest, horseback riding, hiking, fishing, hunting, biking, camping, nature photography and scenic drives. Wardensville West Virginia offers an abundance of natural beauty and outdoor recreation.
Wardensville is known for “The disappearing river”: The 31-mile-long Lost River flows into an underground channel and resurfaces 2 miles away as the Cacapon River.
History of Wardensville WV
Originally named Trout Run, Wardensville was chartered in Virginia in 1832 and incorporated in West Virginia in 1879
The Eastern Panhandle town of Wardensville dates to the mid-1700s and the French and Indian War, when hostilities between English settlers and Native Americans led to the construction of several fortified outposts including Fort Warden at Trout Run on the Cacapon River. Years later Trout Run was renamed Wardensville after William Wallace Warden who built the fort.
- Wardensville Visitors Center
- Wolf Gap Recreation Area & Trailhead
- Hardy County Convention & Visitors Bureau
- Wardensville Garden Market
- Lost River Trading Post
- Lost River Brewing Company
- Capon Springs and Farms
- Lost River State Park
- Wardensville Fall Festival
- Cline Blacksmith Shop/Town Jail
- St. Peter’s Lutheran Church
- Francis Kotz Farm
- Nicholas Switzer House