“The City With Spirit”
- Cleveland TN Attractions
- Cleveland TN Lodging
- Cleveland TN Festivals
- Cleveland TN Outdoor
- Cleveland TN Restaurants
- Cleveland TN Real Estate
- Cleveland TN Shopping
- Cleveland TN Weddings
Town of Cleveland TN
The city of Cleveland Tennessee is located in Bradley County in the foothills of the Southeast Tennessee the great Appalachian Valley of East Tennessee Mountains. Cleveland is West of the Blue Ridge Mountains and East of the Chickamaugua Lake in the Tennessee River. Cleveland is a premier destination just North of Chattanooga for travelers interested in the beauty of the Tennessee Mountains, outdoor adventure, and history. Go white water rafting down the Ocoee River, have a sip of wine at Morris Vineyard and Winery, and explore the variety of historical attractions in the city and the surrounding areas.
The city of Cleveland has many things to offer visitors such as antique and boutique shopping, art galleries, clothing stores, local restaurants, Civil War history, Native American Cherokee history, via Koi Olympic river rafting, the Tonazzi Trail, red Clay historic Park,, Cleveland Bradley county Greenway, Fletcher Park, Koi winery, and the Cleveland flea market.
History of Cleveland TN
The area was part of the Cherokee nation including Tennessee, North Carolina, Georgia, and Alabama. The first Europeans to reach the area were led by Spanish explorer Hernando De Soto were believed to have made camp along the creek in the western part of present day Cleveland. During the expansion westward during the American Revolutionary War; many Americans were encroaching on and settling in the Cherokee territory which led to increased conflict in the area.
In 1819 the Calhoun Treaty was signed and the land North of Bradley County was given to the United States by the Cherokee Indian Nation. In 1832 the seat of the Cherokee government was moved to the Red Clay Counsel grounds by Colonel Return J Meigs. This was called the Treaty of New Echota and is located in the southern part of Bradley County. But the 1830s white settlers were moving in with anticipation of the Cherokee removal which is known as the trail of tears.
In 1836 Cleveland became known as the county seat for Bradley County and the city was named after Colonel Benjamin Cleveland the commander of the “Battle of Kings Mountain” during the American Revolutionary War.
By 1851 Cleveland had an economy of agriculture, skilled craftsmen and professional people. In the same year the railroad was completed through Cleveland where the headquarters of a copper mine was established.
Cleveland voted to remain part of the Union but was mostly occupied with the Confederate Army up until 1862. The Confederates also took over the nearby copper mines for their ammunition. Both armies would pass through the town of Cleveland which led to many skirmishes. The town was considered militarily important due to the railroads and its location. Important locations in Bradley County including the Henegar House in Charleston Tennessee which was used by both Union and Confederate generals, and Charleston Cumberland Presbyterian Church which was used as a hospital and the Blue Springs encampments and fortifications where Union troops camped out during the last year of the Civil War.
The president, Abraham Lincoln, send a message to General Henry Holbrook stating that taking and holding the river east of Cleveland was important is taking Richmond. On November 25, 1863 1500 Union Calvary Moon during the battle of missionary Ridge in Chattanooga arrived in Cleveland and destroyed 12 miles of railroad and burn the Hiawassee bridges as well as destroy the copper mines in Ducktown. This was a major blow to the Confederate army weapon supply. Tween 1863 in 1864 artillery were set up by the union on the highest points of the town trip Ella Mai rates. The Civil War inflicted damage in Bradley county and in Cleveland and the area was left in ruins.
Cleveland recovered from the Civil War better than most southern cities during the 1870s the copper mines were re-opened as well as the Hardwick Stone Company, The Cleveland Woollen Mills and then Cleveland Chevrolet Co.. Many businesses were open and added to the city, along with the telephone, electricity and Public water.
During the 20th century following World War II many manufacturing plants were established such as the American Uniform Company, Peerless Woollen Mills, come to Beloit battery, Olin Corporation, Bendix Corporation, and a Papermill.